|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||URI applicants only|
Immerse yourself in the ancient wonder and natural beauty of Cusco, Peru and explore Peruvian Studies. Nestled within the Peruvian Andes, the former capital of the Incan Empire remains the gateway to the Sacred Valley and its ancient splendors. Students from virtually all academic areas can experience this unique program, which combines co-curricular activities with classroom learning to give students an authentic understanding of what it means to be "Cuzqueño".
Courses are taught by academics and experts from a range of local universities such as Universidad Andina del Cusco, Universidad Nacional de San Antonio Abad del Cusco, and Instituto Bartolomé de las Casas, among others.
DISCOVER MACHU PICCHU
Few sites elicit the wonder that Machu Picchu does. Students explore various historical interpretations and challenges faced by historians and archeologists to develop their own idea of the site's purpose.
Take in the grandeur of this former citadel, built by the Inca using giant stones - some weighing over 300 tons and nearly 30 feet tall – located high above the city of Cusco.
AWANACHANCHA TEXTILE MARKET
The Awanacancha Project offers students an unmatched tutorial in traditional textile weaving - from the dying of the yarn, to the intricate traditional Andean weaving techniques.
Excursions & Activities
- Explore Cusco's fascinating past visiting ancient ruins and historical sites
- Spend a mystical day taking in the wonder of Machu Picchu
- Take a multi-day trip to Lake Titicaca – the highest navigable lake in the world and, according to Andean belief, the birthplace of the sun
- Walk back centuries in the Sacred Valleys as you stroll the stepped terraces of Ollantaytamnbo and the nearby Maras salt ponds
Projects, Volunteer Opportunities, or Internships
- Volunteer to help teachers, in the fields of psychology, marketing, or management, through Aldea Yanapay NGO
- Improve your leadership skills by volunteering in underserved communities through Palccaraqui NGO
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Peruvian culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host country and city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2020||10/15/2019 **||Rolling Admission||01/30/2020||05/10/2020|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.