|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||URI applicants only|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Language of Instruction:||English|
|Class Standing:||1. Freshman, 2. Sophomore, 3. Junior, 4. Senior|
Discover a kaleidoscope of culture and history in this picturesque region of Peru. At slightly more than 11,000 feet, the Andean city of Cusco is situated on top of what was once the capital of the Inca Empire. Live with a local host family; practice your Spanish as you prepare and share meals; shop at local markets; and mingle with Cusqueño people, most of whom are bilingual in Spanish and Quechua - the local indigenous language. It's all part of the mix, or mestizaje, of Andean and Catholic traditions, and old and new -- that makes this South American experience so unique.
the ancient city of Machu Picchu from the top of Huayna Picchu mountain.
ancient Incan technology and waterworks at the Inca citadel of Ollantaytambo.
BREATHE IN NATURE
hiking through the breathtaking Sacred Valley.
Excursions & Activities
Few sites elicit the wonder that Machu Picchu does. Students explore various historical interpretations and challenges faced by historians, and archeologists, to develop their own idea of the site's purpose.
Maras Salt Mines
The famous salt mines of Maras has approximately 3,000 salt pools at the base of Qaqawiñay mountain and supposedly, has been in operation since pre-Incan times.
Awanacancha Textile Market and Llama Farm
The Awanacancha Project offers students an unmatched tutorial in traditional textile weaving - from the dying of the yarn, to the intricate traditional Andean weaving techniques.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Peruvian culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host country and city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.