|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||URI applicants only|
|Minimum GPA:||2.75||Fields of Studies:||Economics, Environmental Studies|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Experiential Learning:||URI Affiliated Program|
|Class Standing:||2. Sophomore|
Costa Rica is the little country with the big reputation for protecting natural capital while promoting sustainable economic development. Front and center of the Costa Rican conservation and sustainability movement is the very progressive mountain community of Monteverde. This is a great setting for international students to explore how grassroots movements evolve into international ones, and how they shape the culture and identity of a nation.
LEARN HOW TOURISM
can bring more than new people to a community. As a student, you'll explore environmental, economic, and social impacts of this powerful force, and come away a more enlightened traveler in the process!
TRAVEL TO A STUNNING NATIONAL PARK
situated squarely in the renewable energy region of Costa Rica. Learn about the controversy that surrounds geothermal energy development and biodiversity conservation.
VISIT THE MONTEVERDE
Cloud Forest Reserve, rich with plants and dripping with mist. This resource is critical not only for the economy of Monteverde but also for the hundreds of plants and animals that call this wet world 'home'.
Excursions & Activities
- Travel to northwestern Costa Rica to the epicenter of renewable energy production to visit solar, wind, and geothermal plants. Hear from the energy experts about how Costa Rica aims to become carbon neutral.
- Hike in the world-famous Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, and observe cloud forest plants and animals. Insiders will tell you about how these protected areas both conserve biodiversity and contribute to the economy.
- Visit local businesses involved with tourism and learn from residents about their opinions on the good, the bad, and all the rest of tourism development.
- Take a day trip to a local sustainable farm and enjoy a meal of 100% organically-grown food, direct from the fields.
- All meals are included.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Two- day orientation - an introduction to Costa Rican culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city.
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Winter J-Term||2020||10/05/2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.