|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||URI applicants only|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Fields of Studies:||Anthropology, Cultural Studies, Environmental Studies, Health Sciences, International Studies|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Experiential Learning:||URI Affiliated Program|
|Class Standing:||2. Sophomore|
Immerse yourself in Thailand's public health system in this intense, people-to-people program, which seeks to create collaboration between people living half a world apart. Through intensive courses, language classes, a two-week field research practicum in a community, and site visits, you'll learn about public health in this inviting part of Thailand and discover more about yourself and your role in the world.
INTERACT WITH DOCTORS, NURSES, PUBLIC HEALTH PROFESSIONALS,
academics, and community-level public health volunteers striving to improve public health in Thailand.
COLLABORATE WITH LOCAL COMMUNITY PUBLIC HEALTH LEADERS
to determine research topics and activities that meet community needs.
TAKE A BOAT EXCURSION
on the scenic Mekong River
Excursions & Activities
- Take a camping trip to mountainous national park and go to scenic Chiang Khan for a boat ride on the Mekong River
- Build relationships with frequent two- to three-day community visits using various research tools to assess community public health needs
- Feed, bathe, and walk your own elephant with "Elephant Lover Home" in Surin Province
- Enjoy a traditional Thai massage.
- Take a Thai cooking class.
- Live with a Thai student in a dorm-style room with internet, air-conditioning, microwave, and refrigerator, a five-minute walk to convenience stores, coffee shops, restaurants, nightlife venues
- Practice your Thai in peer tutor sessions
- Collaborate in community-based, fieldwork/research.
- Carry out a modest, half-day public health education project
- Contribute to human interest stories for partner publication, The Isaan Record
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Thai culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Overnight with the Elephant Lover Home in Surin
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Food, lodging, and transportation community visits and field research
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.