Programs > Brochure
URI FLP - Salamanca, Spain
Salamanca, Spain (Outgoing Program)
|Fields of Studies:||Spanish||Language of Instruction:||Spanish|
|Class Standing:||1. Freshman, 2. Sophomore, 3. Junior, 4. Senior, 5. Graduate, 6. Non Traditional|
This multifaceted language program offers graduate and undergraduate students different options, both of which imply a full immersion in Spanish-speaking culture and language. This is a unique academic experience, combining classroom learning together with the guided exploration of other cities and cultural monuments around Spain. Students not only become more proficient in the language and able to interact with native speakers, but they also experience cultural traditions and monuments from different cultural periods. For those who are at a lower level, we offer up to nine credits. For graduate students, two invited professors from other prestigious American universities (University of Wisconsin at Madison, University of Iowa, UCONN, Harvard, etc.) allow students to take classes with some of the most important Hispanists of the United States through URI. All professors in Program A are native speakers of Spanish, certified by the Instituto Cervantes.
Founded by the Romans, the city of Salamanca offers a resplendent setting for immersion in Spanish life, language and culture. Situated in the northwest region of Spain (about 120 miles from Madrid and near the border of Portugal), Salamanca boasts one of the oldest universities in the world and the oldest in Spain, as well as the country's most magnificent examples of Renaissance and Baroque architecture, century old cathedrals, and monuments.
See full program schedule here!
Students can opt to participate in one of the following programs.
Program A: Intensive Undergraduate Language and Culture (up to 6 credits)
- SPA 101: Beginning Spanish I
- SPA 102: Beginning Spanish II
- SPA 103: Intermediate Spanish I
- SPA 104: Intermediate Spanish II
- SPA 205: Spanish Language & Style
- SPA 206: Spanish Language & Style II
- SPA 207: Oral Expression in Spanish
- SPA 310: Field Workshop
- SPA 312: Advanced Spanish Grammar
Program B: Graduate (and Advanced Undergraduate) Literature, Language and Culture (6 credits)
- SPA 471; SPA 306: Cultura y la literatura hispanoamericana contemporánea.
- Profesora: María Claudia González Sosa, Doctora por el Departamento de Literatura Española e Hispanoamericana de la Universidad de Salamanca.
- SPA 471(1); SPA 589: Modernismo y vanguardia: representaciones y transformaciones de poder en el mundo hispano (See Syllabus)
- Profesora: Carmela Mattza, Louisiana State University
- SPA 473; SPA 585: Cultura y literatura de la España contemporánea.
- Profesora: Imelda Cuesta, Colegio Hispano
- SPA 473(1); SPA 308: Escenarios de crisis: dramaturgas españolas del siglo XX (See Syllabus)
- Profesora: Ana María Díaz Marcos, University of Connecticut
- SPA 597; SPA 497: Problemas fundamentales de la gramática española
- Profesora: Mª Auxiliadora Vicente, Colegio Hispano Continental, Salamanca
- SPA 597(1); SPA 497(1): Español para maestros.
- Profesora: María Hernández Bóveda, Colegio Hispano Continental, Salamanca
Ana Maria Diaz Marcos, Associate Professor, University of Connecticut
Carmela Mattza, Associate Professor, Louisiana State University
ACCOMMODATIONSStudents will stay in double-occupancy dormitory and homestay accommodations while in Spain. Single room occupancy accommodations available upon request for an additional fee of 40 Euros (90 Euros for homestays). Breakfast, lunch and dinner will provided and vegetarian accommodations are available.
Interested in more information?
Visit our list of Salamanca Frequently Asked Questions.
PROGRAM COSTProgram Fee: $4,350
Program Fee Includes:
- 6 URI credits
- In-country transportation
- Cultural Activities and excursions
- Health insurance
AIRFARE IS NOT INCLUDED
PROGRAM DIRECTORSusana de los Heros, Ph.D.
(401) 874-4707 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Susana de los Heros is a Professor of Hispanic Studies at the University of Rhode Island. She holds a B.A. from the Universidad Católica del Peru and a Ph.D. in Hispanic Linguistics from the University of Pittsburgh. Her main areas of interest are sociolinguistics, Critical Discourse Analysis (CDA) and pragmatics of Spanish. She has published extensively in these areas, including the books Lengua y Género en el Castellano Peruano and Utopía y realidad. She has also coedited Fundamentos y modelos del estudio pragmático y sociopragmático del español. At URI, Prof. de los Heros teaches a variety of courses ranging from Beginning Spanish, Spanish Composition to Methods of Teaching Spanish. Originally from Peru, she studied a semester in Spain, and since 1998 has accompanied the URI Summer Abroad Program in Salamanca.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.