|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||URI applicants only|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Fields of Studies:||Ecology, Environmental Studies, Geography|
|Language of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Experiential Learning:||URI Affiliated Program|
|Class Standing:||2. Sophomore|
Whether you're enchanted by its forests full of orchids, or inspired by its leaders of the global sustainability movement, Monteverde is the community for you. Dig into today's pressing environmental issues and watch your Spanish skills bloom with daily practice. See what it's like to live in this warm, peace-loving community in the clouds. Come back ready, refueled, and re-tooled with new skills, knowledge, and energy to make the world a better place.
EXPLORE ALTERNATIVE ENERGIES
and learn about how they impact communities and biodiversity
GET TO KNOW AN ISLAND FISHING VILLAGE
that is a model for sustainable fishing practices
INTERN WITH A LOCAL LEADER
and apply the principles of conservation and sustainability to real-life situations
Excursions & Activities
- Travel Costa Rica and Nicaragua for four weeks, visiting remote communities and protected areas.
- Meet local people and business owners to get a firsthand look at a range of environmental protection projects.
- Discover local foods, legends, and customs as you visit unique villages.
- Be mentored by a resident expert and help solve a local sustainability challenge.
- Put your skills to work when you labor to deliver valuable products and services to the Monteverde community.
- Join a local organization, business, or farm and get a firsthand look at their approach to sustainability, while you gain valuable work experience.
- Projects have included growing crops without agrochemicals, optimizing wildlife passage locations, calculating carbon emissions, using sustainable building materials for construction projects, creating educational materials, and more.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- On-site airport meet-and-greet
- Two-day orientation in Alajuela introduces students to Spanish culture, the academic program, and surroundings, plus practical information about living in Costa Rica
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host country
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.