|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||URI applicants only|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Fields of Studies:||Arquitecture, Art, Biology, Business Administration, Chemistry, Computer Science, Cultural Studies, Economics, Education, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Geography, History, Journalism, Law, Literature, Mathematics, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religion, Sport Science, Theater Art|
|Language of Instruction:||Spanish||Experiential Learning:||URI Affiliated Program|
|Class Standing:||3. Junior|
“A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.” Those are the words of Charles Darwin, who called this city home for a time. You’ll know just what he meant when you get to this colorful city. Classes at a top-ranked university, homestays, volunteering, and plenty of exploration make this a prime choice for students who want to know all things Chilean and take their Spanish language skills to the next level.
GET A COMPLETE NEW UNIVERSITY EXPERIENCE
at a top Latin American higher education institution and interact with Chilean students.
LIVE AND LEARN IN A SPANISH-SPEAKING SEASIDE CITY
known for its diversity, Mediterranean climate, and unique bohemian character.
GET A BIGGER VIEW OF CHILEAN SOCIETY
with a weekend excursion beyond the twin cities of Valparaíso and Viña del Mar.
Excursions & Activities
Program includes 5 days of excursions. In past years we had visited iconic sites such as:
- Learn about the 2,500-year-old culture of the Mapuche.
- Explore iconic sites such as La Sebastiana, and Isla Negra both homes of Nobel laureate Pablo Neruda; activate your political interest with a visit to the Chilean National Congress; head to Santiago and take guided tours of the Fine Arts Museum and the Museum of Memory and Human Rights.
- Challenge yourself outdoors with rock climbing, hiking, kayaking, and surfing in Viña del Mar and Con Con.
- See more of Chile with a weekend excursion – perhaps the vineyards of Casablanca, or the small north region in Vicuña.
Volunteering. Students can opt to volunteer with NGO´s or social institutions, commuting twice a week to small towns near the city by using the train known as Merval. Volunteering options range from administrative support to city hall leaders (concejales), to health care NGO´s that give shelter to vulnerable children and elderly. You could also assist the local football team with community service!
Not-for-Credit Internship. Share your time, and see another slice of Chilean life up close with a not-for-credit opportunity in Valparaíso or Viña del Mar. Help with kids’ sports and recreational programs, lend a hand at a shelter, spruce up a community center, or pitch in at a school.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Chilean culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.