|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||URI applicants only|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Fields of Studies:||Anthropology, Archaelogy, Art History, Business Administration, Communications, Cultural Studies, Economics, Film, Geography, History, International Relations, Journalism, Literature, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Sociology|
|Language of Instruction:||English, Portuguese||Experiential Learning:||URI Affiliated Program|
|Class Standing:||2. Sophomore|
The western tip of Europe is steeped in ancient history, creating an incredibly rich base to launch your exploration of Portuguese culture and history. In panoramic Lisbon, you'll find six levels of Portuguese language instruction and a wealth of other academic options provide intellectual challenge, while excursions to regional highlights and downtime with peers keep you learning off campus, too.
TAKE CLASSES IN ENGLISH
and/or Portuguese with students from all over the world.
LIVE WITH A PORTUGUESE FAMILY OR DORM
at their Lisbon home for full immersion or a local dorm – and soak up the language as you experience student-life in the capitol city.
TRAVEL NORTH UP TO THE COAST
to Portugal's second largest city, Porto, known for a historic center dating back to Roman times and a rich wine trade.
Excursions & Activities
- Visit stunning medieval walled towns, Óbidos and Sintra.
- See the city of Porto like tourists rarely do, by attending a concert at Casa da Musica, touring the gardens of Serralves, visiting neighboring Gaia, linked by many bridges.
- Explore a Romanesque cathedral and gilded Baroque altarpieces during a tour of Évora, a historical center surrounded by 16th-century walls.
- Get into campus life by joining a student association, drama group, or sports team.
- Take advantage of Lisbon's vibrant theatre and historic opera house, plus concert venues, galleries, and a dynamic cinemathèque.
Volunteering. Students who want to share their time and gain practical skills can connect with a range of organizations throughout Lisbon that need support.
Peer support. Lisbon Buddies – students from FCSH – introduce CIEE students to routine life here, and helping you make connections and find your way around.
Research. Students may be able to participate in projects at FCSH's many research units.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Two-day orientation – an introduction to Portuguese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.