|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||URI applicants only|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Fields of Studies:||Anthropology, Business Administration, Communications, Cultural Studies, Economics, Geography, History, International Relations, International Studies, Law, Political Science, Sociology|
|Language of Instruction:||English, Mandarin||Experiential Learning:||URI Affiliated Program|
|Class Standing:||2. Sophomore|
Take your Chinese skills to the next level in a thriving metropolis that’s both former capital of the Ming Dynasty and current home to many Fortune 500 companies. Long a center of education and culture, this university-city has everything you need to ramp up your language skills, sink into Chinese culture, and launch exciting excursions beyond the city.
LIVE WITH A CHINESE ROOMMATE
or a host family to fully experience Chinese daily life, Nanjing style.
EXPLORE SOUTHWEST OR NORTHWEST CHINA
and see how the people, geography, food and customs change from eastern China.
SEE TEMPLES AND ARCHITECTURE
from the Ming Dynasty and the Republican Era and learn how these periods influenced the China you see today.
Excursions & Activities
- Take a field trip to see the Presidential Palace - where China’s modern democracy was born.
- Walk atop the city’s 600-year-old wall and take a boat out on the beautiful Xuanwu Lake.
- Learn outside the box by singing karaoke with Chinese roommates, participating in dragon boat races, or dining with Chinese families.
- Learn calligraphy, Tai Chi, and traditional Chinese painting.
- See the dramatic differences between western and eastern china with an unforgettable excursion:
- Fall: Northwest. The Silk Road was an ancient highway for merchandise, religion, culture, and art. Travel from the start of its northern route in Xi’an, an ancient capital of China, visit the world famous Terracotta Warriors and try out the northwestern cuisine. Trek on camels in the sand dunes of Dunhuang in Gansu province, a fertile and magnificent oasis where a trove of Buddhist relics wait for you to explore.
- Spring: Southwest. Head to Sichuan, Guangxi, or another province. In Sichuan, hike on the ever-green Mt. Qingcheng, the birthplace of Chinese Taoism, and learn about giant pandas’ habitat and Sichuanese teahouse culture. In Guangxi, trek through the lofty Dragon’s Backbone Rice Terraces, stay with the Zhuang villagers to learn about their ethnic minority culture, or venture off on bamboo rafts along the picturesque Li River.
- Peer Language Tutor program. To ensure progress in linguistic and cultural fluency, each student is paired with a Nanjing University student for one-on-one Chinese language tutorials for three hours a week. Practice pronunciation, get help with homework, and strike up conversations in Mandarin.
- Target language meals. To encourage students to use Chinese in daily life, CIEE Nanjing provides language meal stipends for students to share meals with Chinese roommates and friends.
- Volunteering. We’ll help you connect with Chinese people and give back to a migrant school, home for the elderly, bilingual magazines, Chinese NGOs, and more.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Three-day orientation – an introduction to Chinese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2020||10/15/2019 **||Rolling Admission||02/07/2020||05/23/2020|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.