|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||URI applicants only|
|Minimum GPA:||3.0||Fields of Studies:||Cultural Studies, Economics|
|Language of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Experiential Learning:||URI Affiliated Program|
|Class Standing:||3. Junior|
Host of the 1992 Summer Olympics, Barcelona is an ideal place to explore the economic impact of hosting a massive world-wide event. With innovative economic programs, thousands of years of culture and history, and a reputation as a key player in global business, learning opportunities are virtually endless for today's students. Guided day and overnight trips to other parts of Spain further enhance this international adventure.
ANALYZE CURRENT CHALLENGES FOR THE EUROPEAN ECONOMY
and explore the differences between European and U.S. economic models.
GET AN INSIDER'S LOOK
on the impact of European integration on Spain's economy.
STRENGTHEN YOUR INTERCULTURAL LEADERSHIP SKILLS
by completing group projects with Spanish students.
Excursions & Activities
- See for yourself why landmarks like Museu Picasso and Gaudi's La Sagrada Família engender awe from visitors around the world.
- Take one-day trips out of the city to explore Catalonia, with highlights that could include Greek and Roman ruins at Empuries, the medieval town of Girona, and the lush wine region in Penedés.
- Explore beyond Barcelona with a weekend trip within Spain or Europe, and get to know the history and culture of another Spanish or European treasure.
- Get valuable international work experience with a for-credit internship. You might develop a marketing plan for the Museum of Chocolate in Barcelona, or use market research to see how social responsibility affects start-ups at Associacio Coworkings de Catalunya (COWOCAT).
- Placements include start-ups, small to medium sized companies, and magazine and publishing houses, among others. Internships include a weekly class to support the experience with academics.
Lectures, films, discussion groups, and neighborhood tours are all possibilities that will expand your cultural knowledge while you practice speaking Spanish.
CIEE Guardian Angels
Native university students welcome our visiting students and help them get to know the city and meet new friends. You'll join them in small groups for fun city tours, cooking classes, flamenco night, and more.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Three-day orientation – an introduction to Spanish culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.