|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||URI applicants only|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Fields of Studies:||Anthropology, Communications, Cultural Studies, Economics, Education, Environmental Studies, Health Sciences, International Relations, Law, Political Science, Sociology|
|Language of Instruction:||French||Experiential Learning:||URI Affiliated Program|
|Class Standing:||3. Junior|
Senegal's strides toward improved human rights and standard of living make it an eye-opening place to dig into the complex environmental and globalization issues involved with development. In Dakar, hands-on learning will help you understand Senegalese society, from education to politics, to the impact of Islam. Language learning, homestays, coursework, fieldwork, and community engagement, all provide unmatched perspective on the issues facing West Africa.
EXPERIENCE THE CONCRETE CHALLENGES
of development as you teach children, create training programs for young women, and help officials run urban healthcare projects.
LIVE, LEARN, AND VOLUNTEER
in a rural or semi-urban area to gain perspective on development issues beyond the city.
LIVE WITH A DAKAR HOST
to experience the principal aspects of Senegalese culture – family and social life.
Excursions & Activities
- Experience life in a rural area for one week with Peace Corps volunteers or village hosts, to explore contrasts and links between rural and urban living.
- Visit historic Gorée Island – a major slave-trade center for four centuries, and now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Sleep under the stars in a Moorish tent and try riding a camel.
- Venture off for a day in Toubab Dialaw, a fishing village and artist's colony.
- See more of the region with a weekend trip to UNESO World Heritage sites in Sine-Saloum; Saint Louis, the former capital of French West Africa; and other rural areas.
- Participate in cultural activities in and around Dakar.
Internships. Get unique work experience as you examine Africa's social, economic, environmental, and public health issues. You might help ImagiNation Afrika support Nomadic Learning programs, or create materials to help the Global Research and Advocacy Group advocate for vulnerable minority groups.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to Senegalese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2020||10/15/2019 **||Rolling Admission||01/18/2020||05/15/2020|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.