|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||URI applicants only|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Fields of Studies:||Anthropology, Cultural Studies, Environmental Studies, History, International Relations, International Studies, Journalism, Political Science, Sociology|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Experiential Learning:||URI Affiliated Program|
|Class Standing:||2. Sophomore|
Immerse yourself in Thailand's grassroots issues in this intense, people-to-people, and group-focused program whose mission is to create solidarity between people living half a world apart. Be part of something, be engaged, and learn about yourself, this inviting part of Thailand, social justice, and your role in the world--while having time to travel in Thailand and to other countries in the region.
ENGAGE WITH GRASSROOTS SOCIAL JUSTICE MOVEMENTS
representatives from NGOs, journalists, and political and human rights activists.
what social justice and global citizenship can mean in the context of a developing nation
CONTRIBUTE TO COMMUNITY-LED EFFORT
addressing social justice, human rights, and environmental issues.
Excursions & Activities
- Three-day tourist excursion to scenic Chiang Mai (starting Fall 2018)
- Live, work, and dialogue with communities and activists facing impact of mining, forest policy, dams, chemical agriculture, or human rights violations during four, five-day community stays throughout the Northeast of Thailand
- Five-day comparative study excursion to Laos
- Overnight excursion where you feed, bathe, and walk your own elephant with "Elephant Lover Home" in Surin Province (starting Fall 2018)
- Camping trip to mountainous national park and watch sunset while bats stream out of cave
- Live with Thai student in dorm-style room with internet, air-conditioning, microwave, refrigerator, heated shower, a five-minute walk to convenience stores, coffee shops, restaurants, nightlife venues
- Peer tutor sessions to practice Thai
- Collaborate in a final project with communities facing environmental and social justice issues
- Support in publishing human interest stories for partner publication, The Isaan Record
- Participate in putting together Common Ground Magazine, a publication of student writing and photography on selected issues
- Work with CIEE-student-initiated Radical Grandma Collective, a women's weaving group preserving a traditional art and raising funds for their struggle against a mine
- Contribute to an annual human rights festival or other similar events in the Northeast
- Join other students, Thai resident assistants, and CIEE staff for fun and reflective evenings exchanging about cross-cultural issues
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Thai culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.