|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||URI applicants only|
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Fields of Studies:||Business Administration, Communications, Economics, Tourism|
|Language of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Experiential Learning:||Internships, URI Affiliated Program|
|Class Standing:||2. Sophomore|
This sunny Mediterranean island is a mecca for tourists. Add Spain’s number one tourism degree program, and you’ve got the perfect location to explore hospitality, recreation management, and business. Join Spanish students in specially designed Spanish or English-taught classes, and visit Palma hospitality and tourism businesses to develop critical management skills, industry vocabulary, and a global business perspective. Experience a professional work atmosphere while pursuing a for-credit internship in a company or hotel in Palma.
In addition to Spanish, you can also study Spanish literature, education, psychology, and international law. Or intern at a Palma school teaching English as a Second Language.
GAIN RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
and credit with an internship at a Palma enterprise or hotel.
EXPLORE NATURAL AND CULTURAL SITES,
international and new-tech companies, areas of mass tourism and over-development, rural eco-tourist sites, and hotels.
TAKE YOUR BEGINNING OR ADVANCED SPANISH SKILLS
to new heights in a stunning Mediterranean setting.
Excursions & Activities
- Take a three-day trip to the capital of Spain, Madrid, and visit Prado and Reina Sofía Museums, the Congress, and the historical Retiro Park. Enjoy delicious churros with chocolate and fried calamari sandwiches.
- Hike impressive Tramuntana Mountain, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Visit Palma highlights like the Gothic Cathedral, the Medieval Bellver Castle, the Royal Palace Almudaina, the Arab Baths, the City Hall, and the historic district.
- Explore the historical villages of Valldemossa, and Deia, the walled city of Alcudia and its Roman ruins, the natural beaches of Es Trenc, Cabrera National Maritime Park, or the breathtaking views of Cape Formentor.
- Take a bike tour along the coast of Palma to Arenal beaches.
- Get to know new Spanish friends with cooking classes, salsa dancing, movies, beach picnics, flea market visits, and more.
- Complement your studies with field visits to hotels, tourist sites, schools, and more.
Teaching English Internships. Join a school in Palma to assist English language classes or content classes (science, art, history) taught in English, while becoming part of the school community. You will take a seminar on TESL and receive 3 credits.
Internships. Build you resume and earn up to 6 credits working at a local business. You might do marketing analysis and research at The Hotel Factory; learn to cook at the kitchen of the five star restaurant at Hotel Can Alomar; support the finance controller with sales and contracts at the offices of BG Hotels; or help organize events such as the SuperYatch or UIB academic congresses.
Volunteering. Through Red Cross Youth, find a cause that spurs you to action, from the environment to AIDs to children in need.
Language and peer support. Join a conversation exchange program with native Spanish students and accelerate your progress with Spanish while you meet new friends.
- Housing (if living with a homestay, three meals per day are included)
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Five-day orientation – an introduction to Spanish culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.